Friday, November 2, 2012

Poem Building

Freebie Alert!

Okay, I want to share something awesome that I have been doing in my class for word work.  In poem building, you take a poem and write it large on sentence strips, then cut out each word and laminate them.  Then you mix them all up and the kids have to build the poem.  I have found that the kids feel a huge sense of accomplishment when they complete a poem!  It is a good idea to have poems for all skill levels.  I usually have 1 that has all the words cut apart and 1 that has each line separated.  This is a great activity for sight word practice, sorting words, finding compound words, etc.  The sky is the limit! So much fun!

One of my sweet students with a completed poem:

This is how I store the poems:

And now for the freebie.  I thought a Thanksgiving poem would be perfect for this time of year.  I typed the poem Five Little Turkeys so your kiddos can build it too!  Just click on the picture below to get it for FREE!


Follow this blog to be updated when I put out more free stuff! :)

Happy Poem Building!

Mandy L.

No comments:

Post a Comment