Friday, October 19, 2012

The Dot

If you haven't read the story, "The Dot," by Peter H. Reynolds, you should!  My first graders just loved it.  It is about a little girl who doesn't think she can draw.  Her art teacher tells her to just try and to make a mark on the paper. She puts one tiny dot and that is it.  The teacher examines her paper and says, "Now sign it."  Then the next day the teacher has her dot up and framed on her wall.  This inspires the girl to make LOTS more dots.  So cute and so inspirational!
In my class I gave the kids some square pieces of paper and they drew dots with marker (ooh la la--they love markers).  I told them they could create whatever they would like!  I also gave them some small squares to create when they were finished and they got to take those gems home.  So much fun!

Happy Teaching!

Mandy L.


No comments:

Post a Comment